Thursday, March 19, 2009

Welcome, Obama!











A friend called around 9:30 this morning to tell me San Antonio was blocked off for Obama's visit to Pomona. I jumped out of bed (yes, I was still in bed at 9:30) and walked the one block to San Antonio.

I hit the street for wonderful conversation with enthusiastic neighbors of all ages, many of whom were debating the best chants to holler for Obama. Then, at 10:30 AM, the Presidential motorcade passed through our neighborhood. Cheers and smiles greeted the President and his 45 auto/motorcycle entourage.

I, for one, felt a tremendous amount of civic pride as I watched the events unfold. Take a look at these pictures. So many smiles!

The Pomona PD did an amazing job. Officers engaged residents with the utmost respect. They managed to keep security air tight ("keep your feet off the roadway") while keeping moods sky high. The motorcycle cops impressed with their driving skills and their waves to the kiddos. Whooosh + waves = solid entertainment.
[Thanks to Iggy for the video!]

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures. I would have loved to been out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Is he the first sitting president to visit Pomona? I know Teddy Roosevelt did a speech at Pomona College in Claremont and probably passed through our fair town. Beyond that, I wouldn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Allen did a column about it in the paper today.

    So, what ended up being the route? I thought he would have passed by Towne, but it looks like it was, from Century City (where he stayed the night), I-10 to Towne to San Bernardino to San Antonio to Holt to Hershey, and exiting via Hershey, while coming back it was Hershey, Holt, ???, Towne, and I-10 to Fairplex Drive and Brackett Field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I answered my own question... went back up the same way he came it appears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITV3d5QuatM past Emerson Junior High. So I can feel a little better knowing that I missed him by a good half mile instead of a football field distance because I had to go to work today. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two questions:

    1. Where in the world is the Edison electric vehicle place?

    2. Did Obama meet with the Village Academy kids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. 256 N East End (unmarked building)
    2. Yes. (there should still be an article on the daily bull site)

    ReplyDelete