Monday, March 16, 2009

Garfield Park bathroom: Three arrests

Those of us who live near Garfield Park may have noticed the three police cruisers in (that's right: in) the park around 12:30 today. I called the Watch Commander to see if he could share any information. Come to find out, officers had been in the park looking for someone wanted on a charge unrelated to the park when they happened upon people doing drugs in the bathrooms. Officers made three arrests. Thank you to the PD for keeping our parks safe!

4 comments:

  1. That's great! Another plus for our Police!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if the bathrooms had been closed, would they have made the arrests?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pride in Garfield ParkMarch 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM

    I'm guessing if the bathrooms had been closed (to both drug users and kids playing in the park) they would not have made the arrests. But, I think it is important that parks offer amenities like restrooms; the fact we can do that and shoo out the drug users is a good sign. That said, I know the problem is much broader than these three individuals who happened to be in the restrooms during the sweep of the park.

    I really wish patrols could regularly pop into the restrooms just to see what's going on. A few months ago the kids who attended our watch meeting said they see people doing "weird things" in the bathrooms all the time :(

    I have to believe there's a way we can keep the bathrooms open and keep them safe and crime-free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Thanks. And I agree that I'd like patrols to pop into restrooms (gender appropriate), can I count that as one of my suggested questions for the next SARA meeting?! And if you already know the answer, I still want credit for asking. ;-)

    ReplyDelete